Sunday, September 14, 2008

Teaching Kids About Business

I think probably one of the most important things I learned when I was a child was the experience of my first lemonade stand.

Of course, we didn't have the Internet then. So, I'm very happy that the NFIB has released the Johnny Money Online Game.

It provides a great overview of the basics of running a business.

The game starts off by giving the user the opportunity to choose the type of business he or she will operate, the type of products to sell, and how much money to borrow. Once started, the user makes decisions by month, manages inventory and deals with the inevitable hassles of business interuptions and labor problems.

All in all, I thought it actually brings up more of the issues of running a real business than my lemonade stand. As I recall my stand was a "cash only" business, and I don't think I reported all that income to the IRS :-)

No comments: